The Vic awaits for Year 9 cup final

DYKE HOUSE College’s Year 9 footballers are heading back to Victoria Park.


DYKE HOUSE College’s Year 9 footballers are heading back to Victoria Park.

The impressive team will face English Martyrs in the prestigious Hartlepool Schools’ FA Cup final at the home of Hartlepool United after an exciting, but deserved, 3-1 victory over a hard-working Manor Community Academy this morning.

The game, played at English Martyrs, was given the green light after overnight downpours and it meant a heavy pitch for both sides.

It wasn't the ideal start for Dyke House, who lost goal keeper Thomas Armstrong in the warm up due to a neck injury and then right-back Cieran Kirby lasted just three minutes after coming off second best in a tough but fair challenge.  

Dyke House had more of the possession in the first half but the ball didn’t stick up front and Manor made the most of their pace on the break by going ahead after ten minutes.

A straight ball evaded the Dyke House defence and, despite having a chance to clear, the finish was slotted past stand-in keeper Cameron Mann.  

Dyke House continued to press forward. Cameron Painter and David Webb had shots saved. They also created four corners and a brilliant delivery from Brandon Sanderson deserved more than a bundled equaliser from Kian Waggott.

After some strong words at half-time Dyke House produced a superb 30 minutes that should have ensured a more convincing victory, but four or five missed chances meant the game was never secure.

Tyler Miley was a constant threat and he linked up well with a much-improved Blayne Hall and Sanderson.

The second goal was slotted over the line from close range after a Painter shot was saved from a Sanderson cross.

Miley, Robert Foster-Topping and Lewis Porritt should have added a third and the misses meant Manor kept believing they got get back into it.

It took some strong defending from Drew Wood and a fantastic save from Mann to keep the purples ahead.

But the third and killer goal was excellently struck by Porritt following a clever ball through from Hall.

Coach Danny Evans said: “Well to done everyone in the squad who worked so hard and a final at The Vic will certainly be a day to remember.”

Unfortunately Dyke House’s Year 11s ‘ semi-final with Manor will have to be rearranged after it fell victim to a waterlogged pitch.